|Tiny Toon Adventures|
|Season 1, Episode 45|
|The Title Card|
|Air date||November 26, 1990|
|Written by||Nichaolas Hollander|
|Directed by||Kent Butterworth|
|Gag credit||Mermaid Model - Sherri Stoner|
|End tag||Buster: "And that's a wrap!"|
Ask Mr. Popular
Whale's Tales is the 45th episode of Tiny Toon Adventures. It was written by Nicholas Hollander and directed by Kent Butterworth.
A mother whale is swimming gracefully in the ocean with her baby son. Suddenly, the baby whale sees his mother getting captured by a crew of octopi pirates, led by Octavius, who are working for Gotcha Grabmore, who has opened a new cosmetics factory in the middle of the ocean. The mother whale tries to escape, but she is no match for them. The baby whale is also unable to rescue his mother from the net.
Elmyra Duff is on the beach and she notices the baby whale looking unhappy. She takes him home with her and decides to make him her pet. As she arrives home, she notices she left the television on, as a commercial for Gotcha Grabmore's new line of products is being aired. Gotcha plans to kill the mother whale to use her blubber for her cosmetics.
In the second act, Elmyra decides to give the baby whale a bath in salt water. She mistakes his spout for a "boo-boo" and tries unsuccessfully to bandage it. Buster and Babs are on their way home when they hear the baby whale crying. Buster explains to Elmyra that whales belong in the ocean, not in houses. He has her read a book that teaches her that cosmetics are made from whales. The thought of killing whales puts Elmyra in a trance, and Buster and Babs take the baby whale back to the ocean.
In the third act, the sad baby whale tells Babs that his mother was captured by pirates. Buster and Babs set off with him towards Gotcha's factory. Even Elmyra takes action, and takes Furrball with her on a raft. The baby whale launches Buster and Babs into the factory and they stop themselves before they land in hot water (no pun intended). They use a fire hose to disguise themselves as an octopus to get pas the octopi pirates. Buster manages to distract the pirates by using Bugs' dance moves from the Bugs Bunny cartoon, Hot Cross Bunny (a feat previously performed in Prom-ise Her Anything), but before he can release the mother whale, he is detected by Gotcha and he and Babs are captured.
Outside the factory, the baby whale is crying because his mother is trapped and there's nothing he can do to help her. A nearby seagull hears him crying and decides to help him. Gotcha puts Buster and Babs on a conveyor belt and attempts to saw them to make, in her words, "Hare Spray". She also notices the baby whale outside the factory and threatens to kill him as well, to in her words, "make baby oil". Buster uses Babs' hairpin to set off a massive chain reaction that ends up releasing them. All of the octopi pirates are at the top of the factory, tossing harpoons at the baby whale. The newly escaped Buster and Babs defeat the pirates and open the factory gate for the baby whale, who helps rescue his mother.
Gotcha is chased out of her factory by some angry animals, who were summoned by the seagull. The baby whale thanks Buster and Babs for helping him and he and his mother swim home. Elmyra, who was following the Animals, arrives at the factory and makes Octavius her new pet walking Home as Furrball went along. Gotcha is tossed around by the animals, and she begins to enjoy it.
|Charlie Adler||Buster Bunny, The Crab, An Octopus Pirate|
|Tress MacNeille||Babs Bunny|
|Cree Summer||Elmyra Duff|
|Frank Welker||Furrball, The Baby Whale, The Mother Whale|
|Joan Gerber||Gotcha Grabmore|
- Elmyra: "Hello, Mr. Crabby-wabby. Would you like to be my pet?" (the crab pinches her nose) "Yeouch!"
- Crab: "Listen, sister, I ain't cute, I ain't adorable and I ain't nobody's pet!"
- Elmyra: "You don't have to be such a grumpy-puss."
- Crab: "What do you want? I'm a crab!"
- Gotcha: "Oh, must they yo-ho-ho-ho so much? My head is killing me!"
- Octavius: "Would you rather they do the theme from Annie?"
- Gotcha: "Oh, no. Proceed with the yo-ho-ho-hoing."
- Buster: "Great, I'm flunking Spanish and she's fluent in whale."
- Buster (as he and Babs are floating over a pool of hot water): "Good thing we had our brakes checked before we left."
- The gag credit references the fact that Sherri Stoner, one of the producers and writers for Tiny Toons served as the body model for Ariel, the main protagonist of the 1989 Disney film, The Little Mermaid.
- Gotcha gets a headache from listening to the octopi pirates, and Octavius asks her if they'd rather sing the opening from the musical, Annie.
- Buster throws the octopi off by once again doing Bugs' Danny Kaye routine from Hot Cross Bunny as he did in Prom-ise Her Anything.
- This episode won an Environmental Media USA Award in 1991 for the Children's Animated Series category.