|Tiny Toon Adventures|
|The Acme Bowl|
|Season 1, Episode 40|
|The Title Card|
|Air date||November 16, 1990|
|Written by||Steve Langford, Debra Blanchard, Tom Ruegger, Paul Dini|
|Directed by||Ken Boyer|
|Gag credit||Homecoming Queen - Jean MacCurdy|
|End tag||Buster: "And that's a wrap!"|
Inside Plucky Duck
Dating, Acme Acres Style
The Acme Bowl is the 40th Episode of Tiny Toon Adventures and the 20th in production order. It was written by Steve Langford, Debra Blanchard, Tom Reugger, and Paul Dini, and directed by Ken Boyer.
It's football season at Acme Looniversity and the Acme Loo students have had a huge losing streak. In the opener, they've faced such teams as the University of Woodpeckers, the Santa Anna Barbarians, and the Metropolis Marvels, but not once have they been able to beat a team. Only a few fans (such as Li'l Sneezer, who roots for Plucky) have remained loyal. Acme Loo's luck may change, as they have signed up a new quarterback; Buster Bunny! (Buster became the quarterback so he could date the head cheerleader, Babs Bunny.) Tomorrow, in the season finale, Acme Looniversity will face Perfecto Prep, who has had a 200-year winning streak. They've never been defeated, as they always cheat. This is the kind of school Plucky is interested in.
That night, Bugs Bunny holds a meeting for the Acme Looniversity team. He tells them that in their big game against Perfecto Prep tomorrow, Buster Bunny, as the quarterback, will lead the team, hopefully to victory. Buster announces to the audience that he has a new playbook, with strategies guaranteed to lead them to victory. Even so, most of the audience are doubtful of their victory.
Meanwhile, at Perfecto Prep, Roderick Rat has heard about their game against Acme Looniversity, and is guaranteed to defeat them. The other Perfecto Prep alumni have told him about Buster Bunny being the new quarterback, and his playbook, with the guaranteed winning strategies. Roderick tells them he is aware of Buster and the new playbook, and that he and his friends have taken all necessary precautions.
Back at Acme Looniversity, Buster hopes that a miracle will help them defeat Perfecto Prep, and Sneezer thinks there may be a miracle in the new playbook. Even Plucky is doubtful at that. Buster then tosses his playbook into the campfire to prevent it from getting into the wrong hands. Everyone else tosses their playbooks into the campfire, except Plucky, who tells Sneezer he is going home. Shirley the Loon begins to suspect something wrong, as Plucky is going the opposite direction of where his home really is.
Plucky meets Roderick in a limo, who asks him if he has the new playbook. Plucky tells him yes, and Roderick allows him to hop aboard. Unknown to the other toons, Plucky has always wanted to get into Perfecto Prep, and turning against his team may be the only way.
In the second act, Plucky is playing a video game in Roderick's limo, and Roderick asks him if he is interested in joing Perfecto Prep. Plucky tells him yes, as "Every toon who's any toon goes to Perfecto."
Plucky hangs out with Roderick and Danforth Drake in the hot tub of their dorm room. Margot Mallard joins them and Plucky falls in love with her. When Plucky isn't listening, Margot asks Danforth how long she has to play up to Plucky. Danforth tells her to keep it up until Perfecto Prep wins the game, then break Plucky's heart. Once Plucky is out of his lovestruck state, Roddy and Danforth tell him that as long as he betrays his team and Perfecto wins, he will be enrolled in Perfecto Prep.
The next morning, Porky Pig and Sylvester the Cat are announcers in the booth for Acme Looniversity's big game against Perfecto Prep. Porky is barely able to get a word out, and while Sylvester is much more successful, his spit fills up the booth, slowly flooding it.
Acme Looniversity and Perfecto Prep take their places on the field, and during the opening kickoff, Plucky gets the ball, but deliberately gets clobbered by Perfecto Prep. Sneezer still remains loyal, unaware of Plucky's betrayal. Buster huddles with his team to announce the Statue of Liberty Play, and Plucky signals Roderick and Danforth. Roddy snatches the ball from Buster and gets a touchdown. Later in the game, Perfecto gets two more touchdowns. When Acme Looniversity gets desparate, Buster decides to send in their secret weapon. The secret weapon is Dizzy Devil, who isn't in the Acme Looniversity playbook. Buster covers the football in mustard and tosses it across the field. Dizzy spins through the Perfecto Prep alumni and eats the ball after the touchdown is scored. Acme Looniversity has scored seven points, which outrages the Perfecto Prep Alumni. They'll never win as long as Dizzy is on Acme Loo's team. Roderick rigs a football with a rocket, and passes it to Dizzy. The rocket sends Dizzy off the field.
The first half of the game is over, with Perfecto - 18, Acme Loo - 7. In the halftime show, the Wackyland Rubber band plays. Unfortunately, this triggers Sneezer's allergies, and he goes to the boy's restroom to blow his nose. In the boy's restroom, Roderick is mad at Plucky for letting Acme Loo score a touchdown. He tells him that if Acme Loo scores another touchdown, Plucky can kiss Perfecto Prep good-bye. Sneezer is in the stall, blowing his nose with toilet paper. He has overheard, and begins to lose faith in Plucky.
In the third act, the second half of the game has begun. Every time Plucky turns against his team, Sneezer loses faith. At a time like this, Acme Loo needs Dizzy Devil, who is unfortunately at Hawaii. Hamton tells Buster that Acme Loo needs three more men, and fast. Babs, Shirley, and Fifi, who are the cheerleaders, realize Buster and his team need their help, and join them. When Plucky signals the Perfecto Prep Alumni that Babs will be handed the ball, Sneezer is in his helmet, still having lost faith. Babs tricks the Perfecto Prep alumni into finding her contact lens for her, and while they are distracted, she scores another touchdown. Acme Loo is now five points behind, with 60 seconds left in the game. Roderick is outraged, and is determined not to let Acme Loo get the last touchdown. Roderick catches the ball, but Fifi uses her smell to distract him, causing him to fumble the ball. Acme Loo recovers the ball, with six seconds left in the game.
Buster huddles up to his team, and tells them that Shirley will deliver the last touchdown. Everyone is with Buster, except Plucky, who is signaling the Perfectos. Buster disqualifies Plucky and tells him to hit the bench. Sneezer has still lost faith in Plucky, but Plucky is determined not to let his only fan down. He scores the last touchdown, and Acme Looniversity wins by one point.
Roderick is in disbelief, stating that it wasn't in the playbook. But upon checking the last page, he finds a note reading "You've been had" As it turns out, Plucky giving Perfecto his playbook was part of a bigger plan to trick the Perfecto Prep team, he had been loyal to ACME Loo all along. Buster congratulates Plucky for winning the Acme Bowl and decieving Perfecto Prep. Sneezer gives Plucky a sip of his soda, and Plucky gives him a Jersey. Unfortunately, after having a sip of Sneezer's soda, Plucky sneezes. Sneezer is worried that his cold must be spreading.
Roderick is humiliated, as Perfecto Prep has lost for the first time ever. Dizzy Devil retuns from Hawaii, with the rocket ball. He lands on Roddy and eats the rocket ball.
|Charlie Adler||Buster Bunny, Roderick Rat|
|Tress MacNeille||Babs Bunny, Rhubella Rat|
|Joe Alaskey||Plucky Duck, Sylvester the Cat|
|Don Messick||Hamton J. Pig|
|Maurice LaMarche||Dizzy Devil|
|Gail Matthius||Shirley the Loon|
|Jeff Bergman||Bugs Bunny, Yosemite Sam|
|Noel Blanc||Porky Pig|
|Kath Soucie||Fifi La Fume, Li'l Sneezer, Margot Mallard|
|Rob Paulsen||Danforth Drake|
- Acme Loo Cheerleaders: "We can't get no satisfaction. Our poor team's been put in traction."
- Babs: "Don't I have just the cutest toes?"
- Narrator: "So can Buster, Plucky, and the Toonsters...possibly win tomorrow's game?"
- Toonsters: "Don't bet on it."
- Acme Loo Chearleaders: (Singing) "Three cheers for old Acme Loo! Who cares that our team stinks, p-yew? We're gonna try till' the day we die! 'Cause we're Toonsters. Boop boop bee-doo! Woo!"
- Bugs: "Friends, this past season as coach, I've taught these Toonsters discipline, perseverance and teamwork."
- Yosemite Sam: "You should've taught 'em how to play football!" (Laughs, Sneezer whacks Sam with his flag)
- Babs: "So, what do you say, Toonsters? Are we gonna win tomorrow?"
- Crowd: "No."
- Babs: "Are we gonna lose?"
- Crowd: "Yeah."
- Babs: "Are we gonna lose big?"
- Crowd: "Yeah!"
- Babs: "How big?"
- Crowd: "Real big."
- (Camera pans to show the planet)
- Babs: "Are we gonna get creamed?"
- Crowd: "We're gonna get annihilated."
- Babs: "Well, all right!"
- (Everyone cheers while the football team looks annoyed, (Plucky and Buster), while Hamton looks scared)
- Buster: "We gotta get a new pep club."
- Hamton: "And some life insurance. Perfecto Prep is gonna kill us."
- (Coffin maker comes, and measures Buster, then Plucky)
- Plucky: "Knotty pine for me."
- Perfectos: "Oh Perfecto Prep, the perfect school! Where winning is our only rule. There is no team we cannot beat. Because you see, we always cheat."
- Acme Toonsters: Oh, Acme Loo, oh Acme Loo! We wanna win, oh, yes, we do. We'd love to beat Perfecto U. But it kind of looks impossi-boo!
- Acme Loo Cheerleaders: "Go team, go team! If we don't win, we'll kick and scream!"
- Perfecto Prep Cheerleaders: "Perfecto. Rah."
- Acme Loo Cheerleaders: "Dizzy, Dizzy, he's our beast. He's gonna have a football feast!"
- The University of Woodpeckers, the Santa Ana Barbarians and the Metropolis Marvels are parodies of Woody Woodpecker, Fred Flintstone, and Superman, respectively.
- The ending of the episode where Lil' Sneezer gives Plucky a soda and Plucky gives him his jersey is a parody of the famous 1979 "Hey Kid, Catch!" Coca-Cola commercial featuring "Mean" Joe Greene.
- On each rival school, every counterpart was represented and even held the same title, with Roderick and Buster both holding the quarterback position and Babs and Rhubella being the head chearleader. Relationship-wise, (depending on your choice for Fifi) they also appear to be represented.
- Acme Loo Side:
- 1. Buster/Babs
- 2. Plucky/Shirley
- 3. Hamton(or Furrball)/Fifi
- Perfecto Prep Side:
- 1. Roderick/Rhubella
- 2. Danforth/Margot
- 3. Unknown Horse Player (referred to by some fans as Bledsoe Brabant)/Unknown Cow Cheerleader (referred to by some fans as Bertha Bovine)
- Roderick Rat's fur color changes; he was grey in previous episodes, but now he's brown.
- The Metropolis Marvels, who appear in the beginning of this episode, first appear in The Looney Beginning as some of the villains who escape from the villains box.
- Production-wise, this is the first appearance of the Perfecto Prep team.
- As for Margot Mallard, she appears older in the hot tub scene than when she appears later in the episode as a cheerleader, as well as in the Wacko World of Sports episode segment, Bleacher Bummer, and in her final appearance in the Viewer Mail Day episode segment, Out of Odor.
- The fourth level in Buster Busts Loose for the SNES is based on this episode.
- Plucky appears to be Li'l Sneezer's hero, though whether it's just when he plays football or overall has never been addressed.
- With the exception of Montana Max, apparently most of the "well to do" toons in Acme Acres go to Perfecto Prep, considering all the students at Perfecto Prep appear to be rich, and squite snobbish.
- There were two double crosses in this episode:
- 1. If Perfecto Prep had won, they had NO intention of actually letting Plucky join their school. As a matter of fact, it was hinted at during the hot tub scene that they would beat him up, or worse.
- 2. Plucky intentionally gave Perfecto Prep the playbook and pretended to want to go to their school in exchange. In the end, it is revealed that it was part of Buster's plan all along.
- Babs' real eye color is revealed to be brown, as she wears blue contact lenses.
- The Acme Loo Fight Song uses the same tune as the one for the Notre Dame Fighting Irish.
- In football, usually after a touchdown, a kick is done for an extra point, however, possibly for dramatic effect or time constraints, this does not happen in Acme Loo's game.
- The opening is narrated by William Woodson, who narrated the All-New Super Friends Hour.
- During the end of the episode when Acme Looniversity beat Perfecto Prep, in the crowd there is a green duck that looks a little similar to Daffy Duck but with an orange stripe on his neck and has the same color feathers as Plucky, then in the next scene where everybody is celebrating in the football field, Elmyra's hair changed to blonde.
- To read the transcript for this episode, click here.
- Main article: The Acme Bowl/Gallery