|Tiny Toon Adventures|
|Hare Raising Night|
|Season 1, Episode 12|
|The Title Card|
|Air date||October 1, 1990|
|Written by||Gordon Bressack, Charles M. Howell IV|
|Directed by||Art Vitello|
|Gag credit||Dr. Splicer's Stand-in - Doug McCarthy|
|End tag||Buster: "And that's a wrap!"|
Starting from Scratch
It's late one night at Bugs Bunny's office in Acme Looniversity, as he tells the viewers about Dr. Gene Splicer. Once a certified bio engineer, Splicer is now classified as a certified loony. He was kicked out of the Acme Hospital for his animal mutation experiments. Bugs sends Buster Bunny to stop him, and tells him he will also need a team. In order to get his friends to come along, he tells them they are going to the Emmy Awards.
When Buster, Babs, Plucky, and Hamton arrive at Splicer's lab, Plucky asks where the photographers are, and gets struck by lightning. Babs begins to suspect something wrong, and asks Buster, who tells her the Emmy awards are being held somewhere else. Inside Splicer's lab, Splicer's order for an insane bird brain has been cancelled, and he needs an insane bird brain to continue his experiments. Splicer captures Plucky, and Buster, Babs, and Hamton set off to find him. Throughout the episode, Plucky remains oblivious as Splicer unsuccessfully attempts to dissect him.
As Buster, Babs, and Hamton look for Plucky, Babs sees pictures of Splicer's various experiments and tells Buster to confess that they're not at the Emmys. Buster tells her about Dr. Gene Splicer, who does mad experiments on animals, and they have to rescue Plucky and the animals. Buster and Hamton go off to rescue Plucky, but Babs stays behind, as she doesn't trust Buster, and would rather find Plucky herself.
When Buster and Hamton find Plucky, Plucky is still oblivious and refuses to go with them. As Splicer returns, Buster and Hamton wander into Splicer's Failed Experiments room, where they encounter Melvin the Monster, one of Splicer's failed experiments.
In the second act, Melvin chases Buster and Hamton as Plucky escapes from Splicer. Buster and Hamton pass him and Babs as Melvin chases them. Melvin sees Babs and gains a crush on her. Babs tells Melvin that she has made it her rule not to date outside her own species. Splicer finds Melvin and captures him. Babs, who has seen Melvin as more than just a monster, feels sorry for him.
Buster, Plucky, and Hamton find the captured animals and rescue them. Babs finds them and tells them they should stay behind to rescue Melvin, much to the others disapproval. Splicer traps them and tells them they will be part of his latest experiment.
In the third act, Buster and his friends are chained up and held over Splicer's gene pool. Splicer attempts to dip them in his gene pool to combine them into one species. Melvin is brainwashed, and Splicer leaves to get his camera. Babs uses Melvin's crush on her to get through to Melvin and rescue her and her friends. As Splicer returns, Buster, Babs, Plucky, Hamton and Melvin dress in a coat to disguise themselves as a monster. Plucky, still oblivious, reveals themselves. Splicer realizes he has been fooled and attempts to use a hose of his gene juice to split every atom in their bodies. He tries to get Melvin back under his control, but Babs urges Melvin to resist him and help her. Torn between his new friend and his creator, Melvin breaks character by saying, "I feel so torn." and turns against Splicer by knocking him into the gene pool. Babs finds Melvin unconscious, and kisses him. He is back to his normal self, and hugs Babs.
Buster makes up for lying to his friends by taking them to the real Emmy awards. Buster and Babs apologize to each other, and Buster promises never to lie to his friends again. However, he does tease Babs by telling her there is a spider on her shoulder. As the award for Best Supporting Actor in a Cartoon is presented, Plucky is excited, but outraged when Melvin wins the award, and says, "I tell you, there's no justice!" Splicer, who has been turned into a rooster, says, "You said a beakful."
|Charlie Adler||Buster Bunny|
|Tress MacNeille||Babs Bunny|
|Joe Alaskey||Plucky Duck, Taxi Driver|
|Don Messick||Hamton J. Pig, Award Presenter|
|Jeff Bergman||Bugs Bunny|
|Jeff Altman||Dr. Gene Splicer|
|Jim Cummings||Melvin the Monster|
- Bugs: "If this assignment doesn't turn out funny, Warner Bros. will disavow any knowledge of the episode and blame it on the writers."
- Babs: "Okay, it's confession time."
- Hamton: "Well, when I was three, I stole a fig newton from the cookie jar."
- Babs: "How could you do this to us, Buster? Didn't you trust us? Do you think we'd be so self-centered, that we wouldn't risk our lives to save a bunch of furry animals?"
- Buster: "Well..."
- Babs: "You were right, but that's no excuse."
- Plucky: "I want to thank all the little people. Nah, on second thought, what have those shrimps ever done for me?"
- Babs (After seeing Melvin the Monster): "We are not amused."
- Splicer: "Listen up, kiddies. You're about to become the most revolutionary experiment in the history of science. After a dip in my gene pool, you'll be combined into a new species, with the brains of a duck, the head of a pig, and the feet of a rabbit."
- Buster: "Oh, great. A quacking strip of bacon that brings good luck."
- Splicer (As he leaves): "Do you ever notice how bad guys always leave at these critical moments? Oh, well."
- Babs: "You're the only one I care about. You're the cream in my coffee. The apple of my eye. The sunshine in my life. I-I-I love you, Marvin!"
- Buster: "That's Melvin."
- Babs: "Oh yeah, Melvin. I love you, Melvin!"
- Hamton: "Food! Food! Bring us... uh, I mean, me food!" (Acting as a monster)
- Dr. Gene Splicer first appears in The Looney Beginning as one of the villains who escapes from the villains' box.
- When Babs and her friends are about to fall into the gene pool, but are stopped by Melvin, Babs is wearing purple ear ribbons. The very next scene, her ribbons are red (the kind she wears throughout this episode).
- When the toons failed to fool Dr. Gene Splicer, after they fall, Melvin's mind-control helmet is missing.
- On the Tiny Toon Adventures: Fiendishly Funny Adventures VHS tape, the credits list this episode as, A Hare Raising Night.
- To read the transcript of this episode, click here.